Friday, September 1, 2017

Revival! 2017!

Alright folks. After 2 years of reestablishing myself in the world, it's time to sit in front of a screen looking at the darker sides of the human psyche again. This time I'll be taking along a horror movie virgin, and our location will be up in the great white north... all the way in... Minnesota!

It almost seems strange to return to this weird ritual, watching all of these horror movies. I spent so much of my youth employed in video stores and movie theaters, working on movie sets, and generally being obsessed with the art form, and then I got to a point where I kind of felt finished. I feel, generally, like the world has moved beyond the point where film is a relevant art form, and I don't watch a lot of movies or television anymore. That being said, I am still profoundly interested in horror, and in the idea of fear in general. I like horror movies, and the psychological and philosophical avenues they explore, because they remind me of the real challenges we face out there in the dark. While most of us spend our days worrying about money or work, sometimes we forget that what really scares us is the unknown, life and death, darkness. It just returns my mind to a more realistic way of looking at reality, if that makes any sense. Somehow, the monsters and demons of our dreams helps me to remember what is important about life.

Last year I was in Colorado for Halloween, and didn't have access to much in the way of dvds or even a tv, my priorities were more along the lines of making sure I didn't end up homeless. The year before that I was in the hospital during the holidays. I was kind of a mess. But this year, we're full steam ahead, ready to go, and two years behind on all the latest fright in the world. So if you have suggestions, let me hear them. Of course, we'll be rolling on a lot of the classics, because Emily hasn't seen some of them. I know Evil Dead II and Bride of Frankenstein will be in the first week. So, let's make this mad dash toward All Hallows Eve, and have a great one filled with new fun, new experiences, and new scares!

No comments:

Post a Comment