Friday, September 5, 2014

#35 A Nightmare on Elm Street

I've seen this movie so many times that I can't even guess at the number. It is one that I have watched almost every year of my adult life. Like Tombstone or Robocop, it will always just be a movie that makes me remember why I love movies. Everything is just so perfect about it. The production design, the performances, the tone, the music, Johnny Depp's hair. Even the cheesy parts are awesome (Freddy's super long arms! What's with that!)

This time I watched it with my dog at about 2am. I watched it with the commentary on. It's kind of cool listening to Carpenter, Saxon, Langenkamp and the DP (who actually had a lot of good stuff to contribute) muse on their contribution to American culture. It's also a little boring. Carpenter discusses the inspiration for the film and the psychological undertones, with an occasional contradiction by Saxon, Langenkamp continually comments on her appearance and how long it took to shoot each scene (and Craven makes fun of her for doing so). The DP (whose name I can't remember and am too lazy to look up) talks about making a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment