Wednesday, August 20, 2014

#22-24 Scream 3, Scream 4 and Scary Movie

So we bowled through the last two Scream movies last night, and I like this franchise. I kind of hope they keep going, getting up to the time traveling installment that is suggested in the Stab series contained within the Scream movies. And while we're on the topic, there is a Stab movie that starts off with one girl straight up stabbing her fellow movie buff. There's a premise that I'd like to see fleshed out. We know the killer right off the bat. How do they make that work?

Any-who, Scream 3 wasn't written by Williamson, and even though I remember very little from it, even having just watched it, in my mind I have the impression that I liked it more than Scream 2. I guess I'm just a bigger fan or Scream goes to Hollywood than Scream goes to College.

Then there's the fourth installment. It still gets the job done. I wonder if they would have gotten more play out of it if they could have given it a slick, you-don't-have-to-have-seen-the-other-movies title like Fast and Furious, or The Final Destination? I guess that The Scream or Screams just didn't work for the filmmakers, so they just went with plain old Scream 4. They probably lost out on a lot of the younger demographic, who just said, "Lame, I have to watch three other movies from way back in the 90s to understand this? I'm going to see FastFive instead. No backstory necessary!"

Then there's Scary Movie. Stealing Scream's working title, this parody from the Wayans brothers keeps the dick and fart jokes and cultural references coming just fast enough to start a franchise of their own. Good for them. I have to admit that it's totally fun watching these movies, and the Wayans Bros. are pretty much the best in the business at making these low brow comedies. Scary Movie actually started the avalanche of new parodies that runs all the way up to this year's Hungover Games! Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment