Saturday, August 30, 2014

#30 Salem's Lot (1/3 the way there!)



I am one-third the way to 90 movies in 90 days. I finished up this three hour miniseries just ahead of schedule last night. If I watch a flick today I will really be ahead of the game!

The original Salem's Lot miniseries is actually a pretty awesome King adaptation. Some minor character combining and random (weird) name changes (Floyd Tibbets to Ned? What?) aside, it's pretty faithful to the novel (which I just completed as well. For all of my Stephen King shenanigans, check out Scott Reads Stephen King).

The only huge change from the book to the movie is that director Tobe Hooper (of Texas Chainsaw) saw fit to exchange the more sophisticated head vampire, Barlow, of the novel for a Nosferatu inspired creature. It doesn't bug me that much. The vampires in this flick are fun and most of the rest of the characters are there in some capacity or other. The only one I would have like to see have more screen time is ol' Father Callahan, who is, in my opinion, one of the most important King characters. But his involvement in this flick is limited to a super condensed version of a great speech he gives about the state of the church concerning real evil, and his confrontation with Barlow. Yeah, the only dude who actually stands up to Barlow is limited to about 4 minutes of actual screen time. Then he just disappears (to New York and beyond). 

Other than that, it's all 70s good times and weird animal bones/antlers. The DVD is kind of hard to track down, but I highly recommend it if you can get a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment